Monday, September 9, 2013

Heal Your Bones-Can the Sound of Your Cat Purring Help?


Cosmo the cat was resting on my chest.  It was a warm day and she began to purr. The more she purred the more drowsy I became and finally I couldn’t stay awake. I took a relaxing nap with Cosmo and woke up feeling great.  Could it be that Cosmo worked some cat magic on me? Have you noticed the sound of your cat purring is soothing?Some say the sound is healing. For years researchers have studied the sounds of cats purring. Robert Eklund has measured the harmonics of domestic cat purrs within the range of 20.94 and 27.21 Hz.1 Apparently, different sound frequencies have potential for healing effects. 
Elizabeth von Muggenthaler, a bioacoustics researcher at Fauna Communications Institute  describes  the  frequency range of domestic cats purring as therapeutic for "bone growth/fracture healing, pain relief/swelling reduction, wound healing, muscle growth and repair/tendon repair, mobility of joints and the relief of shortness of breath"2
Cats don’t get osteoporosis or suffer from bone loss even though they like to sleep and enjoy long periods of inactivity. Perhaps it is because they listen to themselves purr.  You can hear wild & domestic cats purring with Dr. Eklund at http://purring.org/
While more research is needed to determine specific effects of cat purring on humans….it's possible that the healing frequencies of cats will be used to give us stronger bones with faster healing. In the meantime I hope Cosmo will reveal the healing secrets of her purring to me soon. 
Let me know about your healing experiences with your cats, dogs or pets I’d love to hear about them.  You can post your comments below or email me direct at the address listed above.
 
I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through. Jules Verne
 
References:
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts